“My priority is to keep clients informed of their options and assist them in making choices that serve their needs and those of their families.”
Mike DeBruin is an active, family law attorney whose creativity, attention to detail and effective communication resulted in his selection as one of Texas’ Best Lawyers (Woodward White 2009-2011). Many of his case involve complex property and property division. Mike relies on his experience and expertise to assist clients through the divorce process.
He is a member of the Texas Academy of Family Law Specialists and the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers and a former member of the Supreme Court Advisory Committee on Child Support and Child Visitation.
Mike DeBruin is Board Certified in Family Law
Mr. DeBruin has also written articles and made presentations at family law seminars on trial skills, the tax aspects of divorce, asset tracing and the problems of child support. Mike DeBruin is Board Certified by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization.
He has been selected to the list of Texas Super Lawyers (2003-2013), a compendium of the state’s best attorneys published by Thomson Reuters and featured in Texas Monthly magazine.
Mike DeBruin was born February 22, 1954 in Minneapolis, Minnesota. He graduated from the University of Minnesota (B.A.,1977) and the South Texas College of Law (J.D., 1980).
He lives in Dallas with his wife and son. Mike is in the Dallas office.
Mike DeBruin – Representative Clients
- Represented a former executive of a Fortune 500 company in a divorce proceeding with a substantial estate and complex retirement benefits and comprehensive retirement packages.
- Represented a former major league baseball player in a custody modification action in order to obtain primary possession of his son.
- Represented the owner and partial owner of real estate partnerships in Texas in a divorce/custody action that involved characterization of the partnership interests and necessary significant restrictions on the spouse’s possession of and access to the children.
- Represented a major league baseball player in connection with a premarital agreement.
- Represented the CEO of a mid-sized corporation in connection with a divorce action and a contest of the premarital agreement.
- Was part of a KoonsFuller team of attorneys that represented a wealthy Dallas resident and concentrated on issues dealing with children and complex property issues with a premarital agreement and more than one post-marital agreement in play.
- Represented the wife of a wealthy Dallas resident with children and a very substantial estate which was managed and controlled solely by the husband.
- Represented a physician in a divorce involving property and custody issues, including valuation of a medical practice.
- Represented a major league baseball player in connection with his divorce shortly prior to the time the player was scheduled to attend arbitration.
- Represented the wife in a divorce action wherein both parties were executives of a major Fort Worth company that involved licensing agreements, personal goodwill, valuation of the company, and custody issues.
- Represented the CEO of a substantial, well-established Texas corporation in connection with a modification action to obtain necessary safeguards in connection with the ex-spouse’s possession of the children due to substance abuse concerns.